The ACAN Circular Economy group have been focusing on how circular economy principles can be applied within the context of the UK construction industry. We've put together a 9-part event series that addresses the key challenges and opportunities of realising Circular approaches at each of the RIBA stages. To close the circle, we’re going to discuss a proposed ‘Stage 8’ – to address building demolition and reuse.
We’ve found experts from across the industry to dig down into the nitty gritty of how to incorporate circularity in UK construction in a meaningful way. We hope to learn from their insights in relation to specific projects and the future of practice in general.
9 LUNCHTIME SESSIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
CIRCULAR PRINCIPLES AT EACH OF THE RIBA STAGES.
STAGE 0 – STRATEGIC DEFINITION
Establishing Circular Economy principles within the Strategic Brief
– Duncan Baker Brown, BBM Sustainable Design Ltd
– Richard Boyd, ARUP
This event took place on 14/01/21
STAGE 01 – PREPARATION & BRIEF
Looking at the appropriateness of a project, how sustainability goals are measured against stakeholder and client ambitions, and overcoming any barriers to delivering a circular project.
– Dan Epstein, Consultant Director of Sustainability at Useful Projects
– Nick Fishlock, Project Manager in the Regeneration Team, Brighton & Hove Council
This event took place on 28/01/21
STAGE 02 – CONCEPT DESIGN
Discussing initial circular design considerations, design strategies (design for disassembly, designing in layers, material quality), and how to conduct productive initial design feedback sessions with the client and project stakeholders.
– David Cheshire, Regional Sustainability Director at AECOM & author of Building Revolutions
– Salma Zavari, Architect at Vandkunsten
This event took place on 11/02/21
STAGE 03 – SPATIAL COORDINATION
In this session we'll be discussing circular design considerations, planning and statutory considerations, potential procurement routes, selecting materials, locking in flexibility and adaptability, balancing circularity with feasibility, and conducting productive design feedback sessions with the client and project stakeholders.
- Georgina Chamberlain - BuroHappold
- Taleen Josefsson (A!), Thrive Project Manager - Chetwoods
This event took place on 25 / 02 / 2021
STAGE 04 – TECHINICAL DESIGN
In this session we’ll be discussing material selection and material passports; testing, warranties and liabilities; material lead times and viability; required design skills, risk management, procurement routes and how to conduct productive detailed discussions with fabricators, manufacturers, suppliers, and potential subcontractors/contractors to ensure circularity.
- Dr. Elma Durmisevic, Researcher and founder of 4D Architects and the Laboratory for Green Transformable Buildings
- Nitesh Magdani, Architect and founder of Net-Positive Solutions
This event took place on 11 / 03 / 2021
STAGE 05 – CONSTRUCTION
- Peter Swallow, Grimshaw Architects
- Peter Kelly, ISG ltd
This event took place on
Date – 25 / 03 / 2021
STAGE 06 – HANDOVER
- Gilli Hobbs, an independent Sustainability and Circular Economy Advisor
- Pablo van den Bosch, Madaster
This event took place on
Date – 08 / 04 / 2021
STAGE 07 – IN USE
Petran van Heel, Teamlead Development at Eteck
Ron Bakker, PLP Architecture Founding Partner, Author of Smart Buildings
Date – 22 / 04 / 2021
Time – 13:00
STAGE 08 – DEMOLITION
More information to be announced soon...
ACAN is a network of individuals within architecture and related built environment professions taking action to address the twin crises of climate and ecological breakdown.
or Contact us directly: